mmmmm chocolate

Friday, July 14, 2006

Dunners!


Time escaped from me...never got another chance to write about my trip down south, so thought I would give a highlights package.

After leaving Christchurch, I drove down to Dunedin, finally finding a Wild Bean in Rolleston - mmm good coffee but was a little too much effort for them to put the sugar in as well. Im obviously spoilt in Wellington. Drove through Ashburton which still had snow on the ground, Timaru where I got the bird from male older driver who didnt want me to pass him at 130km/h (that was the speed he built up to on the passing lane when he was previously was at 90km/h) He didnt count on the grunt of Merlot and its driver :). Passed through Oamaru where everyone looked the same...no more comment there. Then I came to the Dunedin boundary.....just outside of Palmerston (the orginal) which is still 45minutes away from the city!

Anyway, on to home. There to greet me was Sooty the dog, also the third child. Anyone who has been to my parents house will completely understand.
Ahhhh home was wonderful, its like a peaceful slow paced haven from the hustle and bustle of Wellington. My parents live on the Peninsula at Macandrew Bay, a beautiful place. One which I appreciate so much more now than when I was growing up.

First few days were with parents, and brother Scott. I was also sick (no big surprise) with ear infection and strep throat. Lots of sleep and relaxing and not feeling one once of guilt about it!

Caught up with friends, namely my best mate Frances who also has just bought herself a house. A lot of gas bagging and catching up there. She affectionly calls my Mum her second Mum. Just for clarification, my parents have only two biological children.

As with all visits, had the traditional brunch with Julie who is like my mentor, her two girls Charlotte and Madeline, and of course Fran. We met at Uni and did some anthropology papers together when Madeline was a baby - she is now almost 9. I aspire to be like Julie. She puts her children first, studied when they were younger. Now with the girls at school, she lectures part time at T col, teaches a Year 12 Chemistry class at Columba College. She seems to balance everything wonderfully, and I hope that I can do that eventually.

Brown haired Charlotte - 10 and Red haired Madeline -8 are well brought up girls. Each one has their favourite in Fran and I. Charlotte sticks with me, while Madeline is with Frances. The girls call me Laugh-a-lot (dont know why ;) ) and Frances so serious. Frances once gave them the talk on how to find the ideal man, and who to stay away from. I couldnt stop laughing, while Fran used a dead pan face the whole time. Brunch is always a lot of fun....and after that there were even more people that wanted to meet the young man who has made me very happy :) Good times. Next....onto Frans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home