mmmmm chocolate

Thursday, May 17, 2007

From the foggy mind....

Well well well...three holes in the ground, as my Dad used to say(probably still does).

This week, Ive have the flu.....I hate being sick. I get utterly miserable and frustrated I can't do what I want. I had a couple of days off, back at school now and just sniffy and head in a constant state of fog. I hate not being on top of my game and don't like not looking organised. It's the perfectionist in me I guess.

Anyway, I did it I made it to the 10 kilo mark (even better the 10.9 kilo mark) Im stoked!!! It's reward time, so I got to buy the new Linkin Park CD (awesome), and got my hair done (long overdue, and feel so much better). Key is keep going, and keep exercising. I got a star for my efforts at the meeting - even big kids like stars :)

I finally finished my nutrition essay. I feel now I could design an eating plan for someone given the time to do it, particularly if training for a particular sport. My essay was on nutrition for competitive swimming - lots of things learnt. Less than a month to my exam now...arrgghhh!

On to school. The kids missed me when I was sick. Apparently the reliever was incompetant and didn't make them do anything, so not much was done, boo! Based on that, being a crap reliever is damn easy money!

On a more disturbing note, today in formtime I learnt one of my students cuts herself. When I asked her if she did it, she fully admited she did. She said she was depressed. She could be generalised as being an EMO (as the students describe her behaviour and dress sense) however it is quite disturbing for me. I left a note for the counsellor about her - I am at a loss what to do. Later on in the day I noticed another student with cuts marks on her arms. This one claimed she "fell over" straight line cuts do not come from falling over. She also had drawn a long knife mark in her wrist with blood coming out. This one also prides herself on showing me her artwork of corpses with blood everywhere with all sorts of ways of dying - these pictures are detailed and gruesome. She told me today its a way of getting her moods out. Im at loss what to do, and really can I do anything?

The wikipedia definition of EMO is the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(slang)

For all the phases and crazes there are for kids to follow, this one is one I hope goes out of fashion soon!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Not Kate said…

    I had that last year. Girl self-harming. Actually, two. I told the dean and guidance counsellor... I think they just started going to counselling (luckily).

    I think the gruesome art is another one of those 'warning signs'.

    I just tell someone higher than myself on the guidance chain that 'I don't really know what to do about this....' and they step in. It's not one of those things you wanna dabble in without knowing the right things to say and how serious things are.

    The perils of teaching eh! You really do start to notice how common these things are (anorexia, self-harm etc).

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger OY636 said…

    Agree, they have the skills and training to deal with it.
    But the fact she is showing it to you, could mean she is doing it for attention.
    Must suck being a teacher.

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...alternatively, that she is showing it to you could mean that she is calling out for help and trusts you enough to confide in. This wouldn't surprise me - you have a good rapport with the kiddly-winks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home